EARTHQUAKE IN MANTUA
May, 20th and 29th
With the earthquake of May 20th the Ducal Palace had been closed and later reopened, but after the last three shocks of May 29th, the lantern of the bell-tower of the Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara, the Palace Church for the Gonzagas, has collapsed.
The Palatine Church of Santa Barbara was commissioned by the Duke Guglielmo Gonzaga, for the birth of his first son Vincenzo, and built between 1562 and 1572 by Giovan Battista Bertani.
This bell-tower, with its lantern, was one of the landmarks of the romantic skyline of the town.
Always in the same day, the Mayor of Mantua and the Director of Palazzo Te have checked through the Museum: falls of rubbles, of stuccoes and of frescoed plaster and also vertical cracks in the North Wing: the Loggia of the Muses, the Exterior Loggia, the Hall of the Horses and the Chamber of Cupid and Psyche have been damaged.
Due to the earthquake both the Ducal Palace and Palazzo Te are closed indefinitely.
English version by Dr. Lorenzo Bonoldi
The church of Santa Barbara, erected by the architect Giovanni Battista Bertani between 1562 and 1572, was commissioned by the Duke Guglielmo and his wife the Duchess Eleanor of Austria, for the birth of their first child Vincenzo.